We've Missed You!  

Posted by: Unknown

Good morning!

We are already hard at work today.  Please check out the summary below to get an idea of what's up in our room. :)

Spelling:  A little wake-up work- write this week's words in ABC order.

Reading:  We completed the second half of the GATES assessment. (We'll have you complete this sometime next week.)  I also shared with the children the way in which you'll be graded on your Poetry Project.  Check out the rubric below:



Math: We discussed how to use the number grid to help us solve addition and subtraction problems.  


Number grids are useful as a tool for finding the difference between two numbers. For example, to find the difference between 84 and 37, you could start at 37, count the number of tens going down to 77 (4 tens, or 40), and then count the ones going from 77 to 84 (7 ones or 7). The difference between 84 and 37 is 4 tens and 7 ones, or 47. This difference is sometimes referred to as the distance between the points 37 and 84 on a number line (or grid).

We reviewed how to use the number grid this way and complete page 13 in the math journal.  I also explained the rules for how to play the Number Grid Difference game.  I was beating Matthew only because the class was helping me win! :)

Wordly Wise- I showed the class a little trick for how to answer the questions in Part E. I'll explain the trick again the next time we get to Part E.

We completed an entry in the Caught Ya today for morning work, as well as the Math boxes on page 12.   You can complete the math boxes, but you're excused from the Caught Ya.  If we have time, we'll read more about squids and octopuses, too!  We'll see how the day goes and I'll get back to you. 

Take care and feel better soon!

This entry was posted on Thursday, September 08, 2011 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment